Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A little weekend craft...


Monday was Presidents day, so that meant that Brett and the boys were home for a 3 day weekend, which meant that I got a 3 day weekend as well. We started Monday by going out to breakfast, and then we spent the rest of the day hanging out at home. I decided to take advantage of my day off to finish up a few crafts that I had been wanting to get to.

So, I really felt like we needed to display the family proclamation somewhere were we could see it daily in our home, but I didn't just want to frame it. So, I came up with an idea to jazz it up a bit. So here is a mini tutorial to show you what I did. (Sorry about the lack of pictures, but it is easy and I don't think that you will need them.)

First: You need a copy of the proclamation. I re-formatted the proclamation on my computer using different fonts to make it look a little prettier. (If you would like me to send you a copy of my re-formatted proclamation, let me know.)

Second: Find some cute paper to print it out on. I found some scrapbook paper in my stash that had the "look" that I was trying to achieve. (Which for me was an aged look)

Third: Beg or bribe your husband to get him to cut you a piece of wood to your desired size. (If that doesn't work or seems like too much effort, just head to your local craft store and pick up a wooden plaque). My sweet husband cut my plaque for me (thank you Brett) from some scrap wood we had lying around.
My plaque measures 9" x 12"

Fourth: Drill 2 holes near the top of the plaque to run your ribbon through.

Fifth: Paint your wood and distress if you so desire.

Sixth: Get out your Mod Podge and adhere your proclamation to the plaque. (helpful hint: once you lay your proclamation on the plaque, use a rolling pin to smooth it out to make sure that there are no bubbles under your paper) Once your proclamation is adhered, let it dry and then begin applying coats of Mod Podge over your paper to give it a nice finish and ensure that it is properly adhered. (I applied 3 coats)

Seventh: Run your ribbon through the holes and tie it into a bow to finish of the plaque.

Here is the finished product:




And here it is displayed on my little table:




That's it! Now hang it on the wall or place it on an easel and enjoy. Easy!!!! Now on to the next project!

*UPDATE* Wow! I had no idea that there was this much response to this little project. I have uploaded the file here for you to use! Enjoy!

65 fabulous comments:

Rebecca said...

Another great idea! It looks so nice! Oh, and BTW I love your new table. (Is that what came in the box the boys made into a "rocketship"?) It's beautiful and fits that space perfectly! Love the color.

I want to make one of these plaques . . . please email me a copy!

Sandra Cote said...

Could we do this for YW? Looks great.

Melanie said...

Yes! It is so easy!

irbuanosraL said...

I love your Proclamation idea. Would you email me the file?
aubril@gmail.com

Danielle said...

I just found your site and loved your proclamation! Would you send me the file also! Thanks so much
stevenanddanielle@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

What a great idea. It looks very pretty. Would you please email me the file. Thank you
iwhite.family@gmail.com

K said...

I just found this AWESOME project and would love a copy of your file.

Thanks in advance,
Kirsten

bkmurph@sbcglobal.net

Eaton Family said...

Hi I saw your idea on someones blog, and I love it! I was wondering if you could send it to my e mail so my ward could do it for a GNO!? Thanks
stacieaton7@yahoo.com

Jolene said...

I love this and would love to make one for our home. If you are still sharing your file, I would appreciate a copy.
Jolene
troyol@msn.com

Sarah said...

Would love a copy of your reformatted proclamation...what a cute idea!
THanks
Sarah
scah75@yahoo.com

Lexi and Hector said...

I would also love a copy of your format..my email is lexannanm@hotmail.com..
Thanks alot
Lexi

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy of your re-formatted proclamation. My email is diolson6@aol.com.

Lynette said...

I just found your blog and love your proclamation board. Will you please send me the file with the changed font? nette13@juno.com

stacey said...

What a DARLING idea, I would love to make one would you please send me the re-formatted proclamation my e-mail is staceyj@rocetmail.com Thank you so much for sharing. Your blog is so cute and you do some ADORABLE crafts :)

Anonymous said...

I love this! Would you please send me the reformatted version? I am planning on having this craft at our Super Saturday.
jamesnjanep@yahoo.com Thanks!

Janis said...

I just found your site after doing a search for the Proclamaion. What a beautiful way to display it. Do you mind emailing me your typed up format.
janispeterson99@yahoo.com

Thank you so much.

Jennifer said...

I just discoverd this craft you made and think it is beautiful. Could you please email the proclomatoin you have typed - its perfect!
Thanks.
kennifernjenny@gmail.com

Buddy and Traci said...

Love, love love this. Would you please send me a reformatted copy. Thanks for sharing your ideas...your awesome!
email: graham@mvdsl.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! I LOVE this Proclamation. I'm enrichment leader in our ward. I would love to do this for our Super Saturday. Would you please e-mail it to me? Thank you so much!
thesorensens@att.net

Jeanette said...

The proclamation craft looks awesome. Would you please email the reformatted copy to me? It would be great for enrichment. I am without an enrichment leader, so things like this really help cut down on my work load. Thanks. Jeanette
jbkirk16@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Oh my heck This is absolutely beautiful!! I LOVE IT!! Can you do me a favor and email me the reformatted proclamation? amwhitfield@homemakinghoneys.com I am so glad that I found your blog. You have some great ideas!!

Alisha
www.homemakinghoneys.com

Lo Forte Family said...

I love it! Could you please email me your reformatted proclamation?

Kim
lofortek@gmail.com

karen said...

I loved your proclamation idea. would you please email me your reformatted version? my email address is karenlish1@aol.com

The Logue Family said...

love the proclamation idea...would you email me a copy of the reformatted edition?
thelogues@mvdsl.com
thank you!
Julie

Laurie said...

I love this idea on wood! Would you be so kind to email me the reformatted version you made?


jjbrewski@msn.com

Jen said...

How cute is that! I would love a copy of the reformatted one! My email address is:
jeahl5@yahoo.ca

Thank you!!

Kristi said...

Hi! I love your project! Could you please send me a copy of your formatted Proclamation?? I love it & can't wait to display it in my home too!! Great job!!
Thanks Kristi!
marlkri2@isu.edu

Chad & Sarah said...

I would love a copy of the family proclamation the way you formatted it. Thanks, sethackeray@juno.com

Micah and Lindy said...

I would love to have a copy of your reformatted proclamation. My email is loulousmith89@gmail.com
Thank you

Unknown said...

I would love a copy of your reformatted proclamation. My email is kristencornia@netscape.net. Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

I would love a reformatted copy too. Thanks! elizabeth_harper@sbcglobal.net

Kelly Loggins said...

Would love a copy.
kelly_loggins@msn.com
Thanks

Amber McArthur said...

I just found a copy of your proclamation and love it! Could I get a copy of the file? basketbaldwin@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Erin said...

I love your proclamation! Can I get a copy of it? Thanks!
erinfguerrero@gmail.com

Ashley Randall said...

I love this project! Would you e-mail me your file of the proclamation to jnchey@hotmail.com? Truly brillant.

Camille said...

I love this cute way to display the Family Proclamation would you please send me a copy of your format. Thanks
mcteichert@yahoo.com

Kati said...

I realize you posted this quite a while ago, hopefully you are still checking comments on it! Would you send me a copy of your file to johnston_kati@hotmail.com? Thank you!

sylonlife said...

Hi. I just came across this as I was preparing a lesson for Sunday. If you still have the file, can you please send me a copy as well? It is so perfect!
Thanks
sylzmail@gmail.com

Josh and Cori said...

I LOVE THIS! I would like to do THE LIVING CHRIST as well. Could you e-mail me your copy of the proclamation? joshandcori@gmail.com.

Also, when you mod-podged over the top, did you use glossy or matte?

Anonymous said...

I dont know if you are still emailing the proclamation but i would love it

red_murray2@yahoo.com

kukana said...

Please send me your reformatted version of the Proclamation to the Family.
txkukana64@yahoo.com

Bekah said...

I would love a copy of the reformatted Proclamation! tbsommers@hotmail.com

Selena said...

Hi, I came across this post/blog when I was looking for projects for Super Saturday since I'm putting it together, and I LOVE what you've done with The Family Proclomation...I was hoping I could get your copy if you still have it. My address is selenahargrove@hotmail.com

Thank You for your great idea!!

DI said...

I love it! Please send me a copy of the reformatted Proclamation.
teddy0_1@comcast.net

Thanks a bunch!

Erica said...

I LOVE this!!! Will you please send me a copy of your reformated version? Thanks so much!
iamtheluckiest3@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I also love what you have done. I would love a copy of the reformatted version. Thank you!
bcfamily@verizon.net

Julie said...

Love it! Could you email me a copy as well! Thanks for sharing your wonderful blog. -Julie
julie.b@ldsliving.com

Stacey said...

Such a cute idea. If it's not too much trouble, I'd love a copy of your formatted proclamation. Thanks tons!
hermionegranger45@yahoo.com

Kayleen said...

Love this! Could you e-mail me a copy of your formatted proclamation please? We are going to do our Terrific Tuesday on this theme. Thanks so much! Kayleen @ s_kbaker@yahoo.com

Allison said...

What a great idea! I would love a copy of the formatted proclamation please. I think this would be a great craft for a Fantastic Friday. My email is akscrapaholic@gmail.com
Thanks so much!

WALLISVILLE said...

I would love the formatted proclamation... it would be great for Christmas gifts! Thanks for sharing!!! Tiffany wallisfam@hotmail.com

Callison Clan said...

I would love a copy of your proclamation. kericallison@hotmail.com

Thanks!!
Keri

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I linked up to you on my Family proclamation blog hop today!

http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2010/09/family-proclamation-craft-link-up-and.html

Jenn said...

I have been looking for an idea like this! It is perfect!

I would love it if you could send me a copy of your reformatted proclamation. Thank you!

Jennifer
jennhall76@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I have been looking for something like this. Can you email me the reformatted version?

candace0907@hotmail.com!~

Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Love it!!! Please send me a copy!!! sunbum10@msn.com

Anonymous said...

I know this was over a year ago but I was hoping to get a copy still if you had them. I love, love it! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry forgot to leave my email address
simplesayings07@yahoo.com

Mike and Megan Johnson said...

I am not sure if you still have it, but if you do could you email me a copy. Thanks!! meganleighc@hotmail.com

Ashley said...

Did you ever think this would still be so popular years after you posted it? :) If you still have the file, I would love it! Just what i need! I have been trying to find a good way to display the proclamation in our home too. ashleybkelly(at)hotmail.com
Thank you!

Lacey said...

Please e-mail me the file - toblers@comcast.net. I hope you still have it. Thanks!

Lula7207 said...

Love it! I would really love a copy of the reformatted version of the Proclamation! My E-mail is together_foever3206@hotmail.com

Thank you!!! =)

Camille Hammond said...

I love this idea and have tried to reformat it and can't get it to fit on one page! If there's any chance you could email it to me that would be great. cami_hammond@hotmail.com

Märta Harr said...

I am preparing to teach primary about Families and would love to share this with my primary friends. Can I please get a copy of your version?

smile-adventures@msn.com

Thank you!

Harmony said...

I LOVE Your new format for the Proclamation of the Family. Would you please send me a copy.

Thanks!
Harmony

harmvang@yahoo.com